Pages

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Personal Development for Smart People: Building Power

This article is part of my series on Personal Development for Smart People. If you are new here I recommend you to first read my introduction to the book.

Today I'd like to talk about improving your alignment power. Power is the third principle from Personal Development for Smart People. Power can be build in numerous ways some of them can be seen as analogies of sports like progressive training, competition and rest. Others are more about planning and more important doing. Here are my notes from two ways of building power that I learned from the book.

Personal Quotas

  • establish a daily minimum output goal for yourself in some areas of your life
  • output-based quotas or action-based quotas
  • start with small ones and gradually increase them

I essentially apply this for my evenings instead of whole days for example : write a blog post, read a chapter, go excercising for 2 hours. When I don't have a clue about how long something will take I'm more inclined to work with an action-based quota, otherwise I use output-based quotas. Slightly related to this is setting aside one hour or more to work on your single most important task.

Progressive Training

  • develop power by taking on challenges that you can accomplish but push you close to your limits
  • once you succeed increase the challenge
  • don't push yourself too hard
  • look at where you are now, and aim to get stronger as you go forward

I'm still struggling a bit with this one because I have some troubles with defining appropriate challenges. I just have some issues with focussing myself on one challenge/goal, finishing it and then moving on to the next one. Still looking for my life purpose I guess.

Extra power building tip of the day : name something you always wanted to do and that you can accomplish in one day. Then go out and do it.


Next post in this series is about Aligning with Oneness, Authority, Courage and Intelligence.

No comments:

Post a Comment